Royal Dutch Shell PLC (A)

RDS.A-N

NYSE:RDS.A

26.98
0.62 (2.25%)
Royal Dutch Shell plc, commonly known as Shell, is a British–Dutch multinational oil and gas company headquartered in the Netherlands and incorporated in the United Kingdom.
More at Wikipedia

Analysis and Opinions about RDS.A-N

Signal
Opinion
Expert
COMMENT
COMMENT
August 24, 2015

(Bought when Cdn$ was at par. Sell and convert back to Cdn$?) You probably made 30% on the currency, but you lost 30% on the stock. Sector is cheap now, so wouldn’t recommend selling, but would recommend buying. He would look to sell some of those and lock in the FX gain, but roll that exposure into a Canadian ETF like an XEG-T so that when oil recovers, you don’t have the currency risk.

Show full opinionHide full opinion

(Bought when Cdn$ was at par. Sell and convert back to Cdn$?) You probably made 30% on the currency, but you lost 30% on the stock. Sector is cheap now, so wouldn’t recommend selling, but would recommend buying. He would look to sell some of those and lock in the FX gain, but roll that exposure into a Canadian ETF like an XEG-T so that when oil recovers, you don’t have the currency risk.

COMMENT
COMMENT
July 13, 2015

You have to love the dividends. They are nice and steady. This one is relatively safe. The difficulty for all of these stocks is that there are just no flows into the sector yet.

Show full opinionHide full opinion

You have to love the dividends. They are nice and steady. This one is relatively safe. The difficulty for all of these stocks is that there are just no flows into the sector yet.

DON'T BUY
DON'T BUY
June 25, 2015

One of the world’s biggest and this is one of the ones to own outside of Canada. The industry has headwinds because of oil prices and because of the oil and shale gas phenomenon. The costs of off shore oil exploration are very, very high. He owns very few oil and gas companies outside of Canada.

Show full opinionHide full opinion

One of the world’s biggest and this is one of the ones to own outside of Canada. The industry has headwinds because of oil prices and because of the oil and shale gas phenomenon. The costs of off shore oil exploration are very, very high. He owns very few oil and gas companies outside of Canada.

DON'T BUY
DON'T BUY
February 20, 2015

Sold his position about 18 months ago. On a relative basis, this company did fantastically well, compared to some of the higher growth names. It is very much a defensive stock. Dividend of about 5.8% is safe. Doesn’t expect there will be a sharp rebound in oil prices, so he would prefer being elsewhere. Prefers this over BP (BP-N).

Show full opinionHide full opinion

Sold his position about 18 months ago. On a relative basis, this company did fantastically well, compared to some of the higher growth names. It is very much a defensive stock. Dividend of about 5.8% is safe. Doesn’t expect there will be a sharp rebound in oil prices, so he would prefer being elsewhere. Prefers this over BP (BP-N).

DON'T BUY
DON'T BUY
January 29, 2015

The price of oil affects all these companies. Being a super major in this environment helps them. Small and mid cap stocks get hurt a lot more. RDS.A-N’s management has not been consistent. He is not sure if it is the best company if the price of oil turns around. It is hard to grow something like this. The currency has a huge impact on the story right now. Prefers Canadian companies like SU-T and CNQ-T.

Show full opinionHide full opinion

The price of oil affects all these companies. Being a super major in this environment helps them. Small and mid cap stocks get hurt a lot more. RDS.A-N’s management has not been consistent. He is not sure if it is the best company if the price of oil turns around. It is hard to grow something like this. The currency has a huge impact on the story right now. Prefers Canadian companies like SU-T and CNQ-T.

HOLD
HOLD
December 5, 2014

A Grandpa in the oil and gas business. They have a balance sheet that can weather storms. This is an opportunity for these big companies to Buy distressed companies, because the balance sheet is so strong. If the price of oil stays down for the next few quarters, the big fellows with the big balance sheets will get more active.

Show full opinionHide full opinion

A Grandpa in the oil and gas business. They have a balance sheet that can weather storms. This is an opportunity for these big companies to Buy distressed companies, because the balance sheet is so strong. If the price of oil stays down for the next few quarters, the big fellows with the big balance sheets will get more active.

BUY
BUY
November 20, 2014

The .A shares are taxed differently in the UK. This has the best balance sheet of the majors. They underperformed because they were investing. There is upside on the dividend. The balance sheet is sustainable. You have to wait until oil prices raise before there will be upside in the stock price.

Show full opinionHide full opinion

The .A shares are taxed differently in the UK. This has the best balance sheet of the majors. They underperformed because they were investing. There is upside on the dividend. The balance sheet is sustainable. You have to wait until oil prices raise before there will be upside in the stock price.

TOP PICK
TOP PICK
November 4, 2014

A big, global, energy company with good natural gas exposure. Natural gas prices are terrible in Canada but are much better in Europe, and it is a much more profitable business. A vertically integrated company so they are in the refining business as well, which has been a good place to be. Huge cash flow generation. A company this strong can take advantage of a very weak sector, because they will be a net acquirer of very cheap assets that other companies not financially sound will be forced to sell. 5.3% dividend yield.

Show full opinionHide full opinion

A big, global, energy company with good natural gas exposure. Natural gas prices are terrible in Canada but are much better in Europe, and it is a much more profitable business. A vertically integrated company so they are in the refining business as well, which has been a good place to be. Huge cash flow generation. A company this strong can take advantage of a very weak sector, because they will be a net acquirer of very cheap assets that other companies not financially sound will be forced to sell. 5.3% dividend yield.

WEAK BUY
WEAK BUY
September 11, 2014

85% of the carbon resources are owned by governments. Large oil and gas companies around the world are competing for the remaining 15%. You’d be better off with a Canadian dividend if it outside of a registered account. Prefers TOU-T

Show full opinionHide full opinion

85% of the carbon resources are owned by governments. Large oil and gas companies around the world are competing for the remaining 15%. You’d be better off with a Canadian dividend if it outside of a registered account. Prefers TOU-T

COMMENT
COMMENT
July 10, 2014

This is a good integrated company, but he prefers Total (TOT-N).

Show full opinionHide full opinion

This is a good integrated company, but he prefers Total (TOT-N).

BUY
BUY
May 27, 2014

One of the best values of the majors. Reduced their forecast for production growth. They have a big bet on gas which is a fairly lengthy and expensive business. With the new management taking a sharp pencil to their reserves and production growth, the feeling now is that there will be some fairly meaningful production growth for the next 2-3 years.

Show full opinionHide full opinion

One of the best values of the majors. Reduced their forecast for production growth. They have a big bet on gas which is a fairly lengthy and expensive business. With the new management taking a sharp pencil to their reserves and production growth, the feeling now is that there will be some fairly meaningful production growth for the next 2-3 years.

WAIT
WAIT
March 11, 2014

A wall around $73, untill it breaks out of that probably best to stay away.

Show full opinionHide full opinion

A wall around $73, untill it breaks out of that probably best to stay away.

BUY
BUY
January 30, 2014

Generally has a very under levered balance sheet. Recently got new management. Thinks there is an opportunity for increased dividends. The recent compression of the BNWR bands (?), which worked very well for the European oil majors in the last 2 years, has compressed and that obviously has put a bit of a damper on earnings. Longer-term, they have a big project coming on line, which will be a big earner.

Show full opinionHide full opinion

Generally has a very under levered balance sheet. Recently got new management. Thinks there is an opportunity for increased dividends. The recent compression of the BNWR bands (?), which worked very well for the European oil majors in the last 2 years, has compressed and that obviously has put a bit of a damper on earnings. Longer-term, they have a big project coming on line, which will be a big earner.

HOLD
HOLD
January 9, 2014

Not the way to take advantage of a European recovery. A major integrated, gas heavy oil company. Nat gas prices look to be weak for some time. This is a safe, large oil company with a safe dividend. Prefers others. GALP in Portugal would be a preference.

Show full opinionHide full opinion

Not the way to take advantage of a European recovery. A major integrated, gas heavy oil company. Nat gas prices look to be weak for some time. This is a safe, large oil company with a safe dividend. Prefers others. GALP in Portugal would be a preference.

BUY
BUY
December 9, 2013

(Market Call Minute) One of the cheapest and best positioned of the integrated oil and gas companies with special strength in liquefied natural gas.

Show full opinionHide full opinion

(Market Call Minute) One of the cheapest and best positioned of the integrated oil and gas companies with special strength in liquefied natural gas.

Showing 61 to 75 of 127 entries